Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Phoebe Jo Dorrough Roberson

Wednesday is Mother's birthday. She would have been 63 this year. There is a lot that Mother tried to instill in me for the better. Most I'm still working on but some of it 'took'. Here are a few:
1. The house can be a mess as long as the kitchen and bathrooms are clean. (Jeff would say that I'm still learing this one.)
2. Your children are your top priority.
3. Don't worry until there is something to worry about.
4. Believe in the power of prayer.
5. Don't Lie. (Many a time I had to go stand in the shower or out on the front porch before Mother would agree to tell someone on the phone that I was in the shower or not at home.)
6. If at first you don't succeed try try again.


Below are some pictures that I got from Nan. These are all that I have that are on a computer, I didn't have a digital camera before she died so all of my photos are the regular printed out kind.

This is Mother on the front steps of Aunt Arland and Uncle Eddie's house in Leeds. They lived right across the street from each other.
This is her Leeds High School graduation portrait, 1965. She was Miss Leeds High School according to the trophy I found. =)

This was on a Mother's Day at Dee's kitchen table in Lexington. We had probably been to church that morning and then went back to Dee's for lunch as was the custom.


Portrait from my wedding day at Leeds Presbyterian, that's Mother, Nan, me and Dee.

This is the last picture taken of Mother that I know of. This was at Aunt Anne and Uncle Scotty's house the month before she died for Dee's 90th birthday party.

Important things my mother taught me:
-How to wash my hair using fingertips and not fingernails
-For makeup less is always more
-Spray perfume on the inside of the wrists, rub together and then rub wrist onto your neck
-Hairspray can fix any kind of bad hair day
-Always blot your lipstick
-If your dish is too runny use flour to thicken it up
-Company always goes first when dinner is ready
-When eating at a friends house always tell them you enjoyed the meal and thank them for having you over/inviting you
-Always peek into your children's rooms to check on them before you go to bed, and even during the night if needed
-Pretty is as Pretty does
-Never put bras or swimsuits in the dryer
-How to do a good fondue
-Family game night after dinner is great, especially Uno and Sorry
-Remember to put a note in your child's lunch
-If one of your children ever spills red Shasta on the light carpet try to get it up before your husband finds it. =)

2 comments:

  1. I know I have told you this many times Shellie, but your mother was one of my all time favorite people. She was an angel to many people and now is truly an angel. I miss her very much. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore your mother and everything about her.

    ReplyDelete