Sunday, November 27, 2011

Girl Scouts

I've had requests to recount the recent Girl Scouts camping trip. Ugh. The trip was the weekend of 10/14 at Oak Mtn State Park. Of course no other parents showed up but myself and the 2 troop leaders. Should have been an omen. I detest the great outdoors for extended periods of time and having no electricity or nice restroom facilities. I was so not prepared for this. This being said, Madeline had the time of her life and would have GLADLY stayed out there in the woods for another week.


Group shot of the 8 girls on the trip. That would be Madeline on the far right in 'the pose'.




Each night one girl was responsible for making the meal, either breakfast, lunch or dinner. Madeline was in charge of the hotdogs on the Coleman grill for the first dinner.

Let's also point out that Madeline got lost that night and the park ranger had to bring her back to camp with a flashlight. My nerves were shot on the first night.





The massive hike we had to do through the woods. I don't normally exert myself this much.





Silly girls. This was taken at the bird preserve and lucky us, we got there just in time to watch them feed the predator birds. And guess what was in the bucket? Dead rats! I. Am. Terrified. Of. Them. The feeder guy thought he was being cute by shaking the rat bodies at the girls to freak them out and there I was bent over the deck rail inches from barfing at the sight of them. Not cool Mr. Feeder Guy. Not cool.




Next up- canoeing. Have I ever been in a canoe before? Why no, I had not. Did I want to be in a canoe out in the middle of a LAKE with 2 eight year old girls who couldn't canoe? NO. If we had tumped over I don't know what I would have done because I am terrified of swimming in lakes. We all know there are dead bodies down there just waiting to pull you under! =)




She was loving every second of it.




Then to the petting zoo. Poop. Every. Where. And pigs that bit and goats that jumped on people.





Pumpkin decorating. Now this is more my speed. This was a lot of fun. And the talent show they put on that night was fun too.



Look who wins Mother Of The Year award subcategory: the things we do for our children.

And that was my first and last camping trip.

Did I mention that I had to sleep on the ground in a tent with the other 2 troop leaders who I had never met? That's right. Laugh it up.

















No comments:

Post a Comment